Monday, February 6, 2012

School Days: Channing Totems

Last Tuesday night, I was finessing the delicate finishing touches on Jordan Knight's hairline with some ashy gray paint.  A hairline that I hadn't realized until that moment, was very similar to the Jersey Shore style of today. Without the rat tail.  I had completely forgotten about NKOTB rat tails until watching the videos.  That part of them did not live on in my fantasies. I was just about to hum the corus of "Please Don't Go Girl" when Teacher Jen's phone call sucked me out of my hot hair trance and forcibly shoved me into a Pacific Northwest Indian tribe circa 1850.

Jen: How do you feel about making totem poles with the kids on Friday?
Me: Um, ecstatic.
Jen: OK, you know I don't mean actually carving wood with 3rd graders, right? I was thinking paper on the wall in the back corner, something we can curve around and build up.
Me: <Lying> Of course I knew that.
Jen: I just don't have time to help work anything out by Friday. Can you plan it and let me know if I need to do anything before hand?
Me: I have a plan, no worries. It will be easy.
Jen: No knives?
Me: No knives.


So Mr. Schatze built us some amazing totem pole stands from scrap wood and leftover home decor fabric rolls.

That wasn't my plan. I mean, not for him to make them. Sometimes, yes, I am passive aggressive in my requests. Like, "Hey, will you help me clean the bathrooms?" I really just want them cleaned.  When I asked him to help me make totem pole stands, I actually meant it.


Good thing he did more than help though, because they were better than anything that I would have duct taped together.  He even used some weight lifting equipment on the bottom to provide support and stability.

I love him.


The kids utilized their paper sections for drawing pictures representing what was important to them. There were a lot with footballs and playground equipment. One with The Hunger Games books.


When the day was over I stayed after to make lions, the school mascot, for both sides of the totem tops.  While cutting the manes, I decided it would be awesome to scrap the lion bit altogether and put a big Channing Tatum head on the top instead.

I know right?! Channing Totems!


Instead, Teacher Jen got to be the shining star of the totems. That is her with the billowy brown hair on the left.

Maybe next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment