Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Flashback: Vikings Rock!...ed in 2010

Part two of three in the nephew painting mission.

1 year, 11 months and 18 days have passed since the devastating Minnesota Vikings playoffs overtime loss.  You know, the one that squashed our dreams of a 2010 Superbowl Championship. Even though I am still healing, I have mustered up enough chutzpah to get through this one post about my nephew Nolan and his Vikings painting.

So, Nolan is a huge Vikings fan...not huge in stature, but huge in heart and team pride. The chosen painting for his bedroom would need to reflect that passion, something I was honored and excited to do. I searched the Internet and decided that a version of this little number would be my plan.


I switched the team font to their current version and simplified some of the stadium detail to make it easier for myself...and you know what? That painting was still hard as hell for me.

The part that rocked my world was the sky. I tried to put forth a graceful effort to wisp on Bob Ross 'happy little clouds.' But, they were just eaten up by my tumultuous hurricane clouds that rolled in over the stadium. Mr. Schatze couldn't even find the words to tell me lovingly that my sky was two strokes away from an alien invasion apocalypse squall. He just stared with a deeply concentrated look, searching hard for the right words to express honesty without risking a blubbering sob fest emotional break down on my part.



It was the excitement of the continued Vikings wins that kept me pushing through the gray skies to the end-zone. I kept thinking, "How great for Nolan to get a Vikings painting the same year they win the Superbowl!" About ten cloud layers later, I finally got to a partly cloudy/chance of drizzle sky that I could deal with.

(Moment of silence for what should have been.)

I was so happy to get that hog done...so braided Viking helmet wearing happy. But, the best part is staring at the picture of my favorite baller, Cutie McCuterton Nolan, in his Vikings room.



I love him.



No comments:

Post a Comment