Wednesday, August 15, 2012

heidi in Seattle: Savor

I apologize for being out of touch.

We've been in Seattle visiting a friend. And gaining weight. And making new friends. And pretending to be disinterested when walking past the Escala, knowing full well that Christian Grey's literary penthouse (and playroom) sit seductively up top.

But we are totally bringing you along now. Here is a guide to some of our food adventures:




Anthony appreciated Fonté's Guatemalan French press coffee so much that he drank it without cream.  That's a big deal for him.  And then he bought a bag of whole bean to take home for $20.  That's an even bigger deal.  It really is some serious java. And worked well with the small cheese plate.  But really, in my world everything works well with cheese.


Ivar's Acres of Clams

photo from Ivar's.com
We ate at the Ivar's on Pier 54 and the view overlooking the water was so beautiful that I forgot to take a picture of it.  Sort of like the Chowder Sampler that I ordered.  Yep, mooed it down without a thought.


Beecher's 


Oprah has hailed Beecher's "World Famous" Mac & Cheese as the best ever.  She's wrong.  And I think that is only because Oprah hasn't had my friend Leah serve her Ina Garten's recipe. It is still worth a visit to watch them make the cheese curd.  Oh, and sample different cheeses at the counter. Fresh free cheese = winning.


Turkish Delight


I needed to eat some turkish delight to wrap up my 5th grade The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe experience. Talking lions, secret passageways and the White Witch were all things that made sense to me then.  But not turkish delight.  I honestly thought that it was turkey jerky coated in brown sugar.  Way off.  Try the rose flavor, because supposedly it is the most authentic.  And go in with room for a kebab so you can tell me if they are as mouthwatering as they smelled.  Oh, and next time you see Anthony, ask him for his explanation of a turkish delight...and be prepared for the worst.


Cupcake Royale


Support Frostitution.  I went with the 'Royale with Cheese' shown above.  Its probably best that there are 1,400 miles between me and these little bastards.  We stopped at the new one in Capitol Hill.




Oh La La La Crêperie.  I tried the number 2. and the number 5. with an egg.  Both savory.  I think my head is going to explode when I try one of the sweet options...along with my pant seams.


Lola


Normally we don't begin breakfast with an appetizer of mini doughnuts. But now, it will be my new normal at Lola.  For every meal.  Vanilla mascarpone, homemade jam and fresh mini doughnuts. Also, I'd kick a cactus right now for more of their house cured salmon.





Serious is the appropriate word.  My soft egg pizza told me to 'STFU' and then earnestly showed me who was boss.  She was.  And then her buddy Limoncello Cooler kicked me while I was down.  Serious Pie is a Tom Douglas restaurant, just like Lola.  I should have known.




$6.88 - The price of every pizza regardless of your topping spree.  And they have pineapple, my favorite.  And they are right next door to the Space Needle.  And right next door to a restaurant that uses 'bacon jam'.  It was a tough choice for Anthony that night.


Pike Place Bakery


An apple cup. Of course.  Because I get pissed when I fantasize about an apple fritter and it ends up being dried out with no soft apple goodness.  Problem solved.  I kind of felt sorry for the full tray of fritters just down the row.

I'll fill you in on the sights and shopping soon.

Oh, and here's my heidi in Seattle map in case you will be visiting soon.  Because I'd hate for you to make any poor decisions, like the McDonald's next to the Needle.



View heidi in Seattle in a larger map



No comments:

Post a Comment