Thursday, May 9, 2013

Ben Franklin: Man of History and Mystery

Electricity & Constitution.  That pretty much sums up what I remember from my lessons of Ben Franklin.

Wait. I take that back.

Parisian lovers and syphilis too.  Lessons from The Office: Season 3, of course. 



When I got LEGO Vaughn's request for a Ben Franklin costume for a school event, I wanted to make sure that he looked sharp and dapper.

...and historically accurate.
...and worked the VD info into his presentation somehow.



But I fact checked the syphilis thing, and it appears to be false.

Unless it isn't and was just filed neatly on the list of America's greatest cover-ups, right behind Who Really Shot JFK, and two spots before Nipplegate 2004: Justin Timberlake planned it.

We'll never know.


However, I do know that my quest made me wiser.

Now I know that Ben Franklin established the first circulation library so all, not just the rich, could enjoy books. (Bless you Ben. Bless you so hard.)

...and that Ben invented the odometer to keep track of distance in his carriage.
...and that corduroy was invented in the late 18th century, so I don't have to feel like a fraud for choosing it as the Colonial coat material.
...and now I know how to sew a sweet lace dickie. Priceless.


Oh, there is so much more. Way more I don't know.

Perhaps I will get the Ben Franklin book from the library.  

Because I can.  
Because of him.  
Because I like to imagine the joy that would boom in Ben when I took him to see my busy local library - before our stops to the fire station and hospital.  Followed up by a shopping trip for new bifocals and a salty mall pretzel with canned cheese sauce...just because I want to watch his face as he eats it.

Until then, here's legit facts from Vaughn. My 84-year-old 3rd grade nephew.


Hi!  I'm Ben Franklin   I was born in Boston on January 17th, 1706.  I was known for writing the anti-slavery treaty and inventing the lightening rod.  I died on April 17, 1790 and lived to be 84.

And those syphilis rumors are vicious, vicious untruths. 

No comments:

Post a Comment