Friday, March 22, 2013

Meet Millie

I got dressed up yesterday.  

Nothing fancy.  Honestly, more 'Jackie O. Casual'.  Tailored black jeans, hair down, cute flats and lipstick.  But a big leap from my typical Elastic Waistband Thursdays.  All that primp to go pick up a chair I found on Craigslist.

It all felt like the right thing to do.  In part, because Libby, the seller, started one of our email correspondences with, I wouldn’t just sell this chair to ANYONE! My grandmother was quite the lady! I was headed to a Craigslist interview. This was my sale to lose.

The antique seat was in the patio area when I pulled into Libby's Fountain Hills driveway. Next to it, a picture of Millie (aka Grandma) with Libby's dad.  Milly perfectly adorned in a flapper dress and pearls.


This purchase was a package deal. The chair and the spirit of Millie. All or nothing. No breaking the set.

Millie, the woman possessing inordinate dazzle for a girl born before the turn of the 20th century in prairie drenched Indiana.  A woman whose hat, gloves and purse always matched.  A woman who had four marriages, three husbands and one handsome child.

Yes, you read that right, one man got a second chance.

Also, a described super Lutheran. Which, I can assume from my own Lutheran upbringing means that each church goer knew which pew position was hers and she brought in a casserole for every single churchly event. Every. One.


I accepted the deal and gave Libby $50 for a treasure and a priceless spirit.

What am I going to do with it?  Where am I going to put it?  I'm not sure.  Perhaps a nice Reformation red in Millie's honor.

Millie had it in her bedroom.  Where maybe she prayed each night for her son's gentlemanly growth, or for cloche hats to come back into style, or for Bernice to have her 15 cats removed before she hosts Ladies Aid next Thursday because her Jell-O cake recipe does not call for mounds of Persian cat hair.

Who knows.  

I guess only Millie.  

I'll keep you posted on the transformation.  But, I can tell you right now that regardless of how it turns out, the money was well spent just to know her. Millie, The Super Lutheran.



No comments:

Post a Comment